In VisionTV’s new series Bake and Make Up, a once inseparable twosome – childhood friends, past loves, long-lost family – are given the chance to reunite and rekindle their relationship through baking. By bringing two people together to create a delicious and personally meaningful dessert, they can find their way back to each other once again.
Paula and Gino met on a dating site. While their romance didn’t spark, they clicked over a shared Italian heritage and a passion for good food. Now, as the twosome come together to create the layers of a Tiramisu, they bake to uncover what remains unsaid in the hopes they can return to their delectable friendship.
Take a look at their Tiramisu recipe below!
6 large egg yolks
1 cup superfine sugar
1 – 275g container of mascarpone cheese, room temperature
1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup cold espresso
½ cup coffee-flavored liqueur
30 Italian ladyfingers
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa, for dusting
- In a large heat-proof bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until very well incorporated.
- Bring water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Place the bowl over the simmering water and whisk for approximately 10-12 minutes, until thick and yellow.
- Cool mixture over ice.
- Make 1 cup of espresso and refrigerate to cool.
- Whisk room temperature mascarpone cheese into cooled egg yolk mixture until well combined. Don’t overmix as this can cause curdling. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the fridge to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment, add whipping cream and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the chilled mascarpone mixture and refrigerate until assembly.
- In a small bowl, mix together cold espresso and coffee-flavoured liqueur.
- To assemble the tiramisu, set up the following stations: ladyfingers, coffee mixture, chilled mascarpone cream, 9-inch square baking dish.
- Dip the ladyfingers into the coffee mixture just long enough to dampen them. Do not soak them.
- Arrange ladyfingers in the bottom of a 9-inch square baking dish taking care to cover the entire bottom.
- Spoon half the mascarpone cream filling over the ladyfingers.
- Repeat the process with another layer of dipped ladyfingers.
- Add another layer of tiramisu cream. Smooth the top of the cream with an offset spatula as best you can. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best.
- Dust with cocoa before serving.